Mon-Fri 8.00 - 19.00+371 67339300During weekdays and holidaysYour doctor

If a tooth is knocked out from a trauma

What you can do
  • Retrieve the tooth as quickly as possible. The longer the tooth is out of the socket the poorer the prognosis

  • Keep the tooth in a wet environment (in the mouth if owner is older than 10yr) such as in clean water

  • Phone your dentist (+371 67 339 300)

  • Take medication for pain (ibuprophen)

What the dentist will do immediately
  • Clean the tooth from any debris
  • Clean the socket (may require an X-ray)
  • Place the tooth in the socket
  • Splint the tooth to teeth besides it to stabilize it.
What the dentist will do in a follow-up
  • Do a follow-up X-ray
  • Test tooth vitality
  • Possibly initiate root canal treatment
  • Remove the splint

If a tooth is chipped or crown fractured

What you can do
  • If the chip from the tooth is large enough try to locate it and place it in an envelope
  • Phone your dentist and explain the extent of the fracture and if it is sensitive to touch and temperature
  • If it is sensitive request an immediate appointment
What the dentist will do immediately
  • Take an X-ray to determinē if there is any damage to the root or surrounding bone
  • If the chip has been found, the dentist can bond it to the fracture site.
  • Without the chip the dentist will place an appropriate coloured filling
What the dentist will do in follow-up
  • Every 3-4 months an X-ray will be taken to assess the surrounding tissues and make sure there is no infection
  • Possibly replace filling
  • If the tooth turns dark root canal treatment may be necessary and possibly bleaching of the tooth

Tooth ache: sensitivity to temperature and sweets

What you can do
  • Determine what causes the pain – hot, cold, biting, sweets
  • Depending on the amount of pain call your dentist for an urgent appointment
  • Take medication for pain if needed (ibuprophen) until you can get to the dentist
What the dentist will do
  • A clinical examination will be done to determine the offending tooth:
    a) A dental and medical history will be determined
    b) The signs and symptoms that you experience will be recorded.
    c) A test for cold sensitivity (ice on the tooth) will be performed as well as light tapping on the tooth in question

  • Treatment (if tooth is sensitive to temperature changes, sweets)
    a) If it is a small cavity this will be filled
    b) If (as is the usual case when there is pain in the tooth from a cavity) a treatment filling may be placed, or root canal treatment may be suggested.

  • Treatment (if the tooth is sensitive to temperature changes and to biting)
    a) Probably a root canal treatment will be initiated.
    b) Following root canal treatment a filling will be placed and if the defect is large a crown may be suggested to reduce the risk for that tooth to fracture.

Tooth ache and swelling

What you should do
  • Call your dentist and explain the problem and request an immediate appointment
  • Take pain medication if needed (ibuprophen)
  • Antibiotics should not be taken until the necessity for them is determined by a clinical examination
What the dentist will do
  • The symptoms asociated with the problem
  • Do a clinical and a X-ray examination
  • As the swelling is associate with infection the treatment will be to drain the abscess. This can be done throuth the root canal or throught the gums
  • It will then be determined if the tooth can be retained ori f it should be extracted
  • Antibiotics will be prescribed only if the abscess cannot be drained or if it threatens to spread. If it is determined that you have a fever associated with the swelling then antibiotics are usually indicated.
Working hours
Mo-Fri 8:00-19:00
Call for appointment: +371 67 339 300
Information for people with functional disorders
© Copyright 2010, All rights reserved